Books on Sale

Hargood Book Trailer

Bourgeois versus communism versus Jesus

I spent the day today with my friend Charlie, whom I lived with over the summer. He truly is a kindred spirit and I always enjoy our time together. After class today we caught a ride up to no dingy mall where I would not be surprised to find a horde of teenage zombies in such a rundown and decrepit establishment. Oh well, the Chinese food is good there. Over our chicken and noodles, we discussed the importance and severity of the Eucharist. Inspired by these deep ponderings, we moved on to Barnes & Noble and found ourselves sitting in a coffee shop with a copy out of the Communist manifesto. Charlie, legally blind, held the book open for me as I, legally armless, read to him the first two chapters. I must confess I never actually read Karl Marx before, but had held against it so adamantly in my beliefs. I am happy that I have read at least some of it so far and better understand for myself the absurdity of its concepts. It was funny- the first chapter is built around the tearing down of the bourgeois for the sake of the "minority". (A common enemy will unite anyone.) It all sounds great at first, but I guess that's how they get you, isn't it? That is certainly what our leadership has done. And even the beginning of the second chapter makes at least a bit of sense when contrasting communism to the bourgeois, but then they begin to slip it in a little at a time. The lies trickle in, mixing subtly with the basic truth- the common knowledge- and then grow into a tumult of destruction that you have by then given up your soul and mind to accept, wiping out any truth or hope that may have once been there. There were a lot of concepts that gave me chills when reading, but one in particular frightened me the most. "Communism abolishes eternal truths, it abolishes all religion, and all morality." Well at least he admits these things as eternal truths. But the reasoning behind this expulsion is that religion and morality are blamed in further reading for the "class antagonism" that brings about social downfall and the rise of the bourgeois. This is ridiculous! The Church has proven to be a comforter and provider during the hardest times of society throughout history, from plague to war to even persecution of the Church itself. And morality! When things are as terrible as Karl Marx makes them out to be, morality is what drives individuals to respond- for the welfare of their community and fellow man. Our time was cut short by necessity, and my voice gave out after 30 some pages, so we plan to pick up again next Wednesday in our reading. And why, you may ask, are we good Christian boys filling our minds with such nonsense? I hope that I have proven thus far that we understand the foolishness and devilry behind these concepts, but we also understand that these are the schools of thought from which our current leader is deriving his moral and political stance. Therefore, as Scripture clearly states, we must be vigilant and not ignorant when dealing with the powers of this dark world. But praise God that despite the foolish ambitions of man, He still reigns on high.